Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Home Stretch…..Already?

So I’ve checked my calendar, and BOOM, all of a sudden I am down to my last month in Washington. Say what?

I’m not gonna lie, I have been going through a little bit of a semi-homesick stage this past little while, mostly just missing my family and friends – BUT I have pushed those feelings aside because I am 100% sure that after about 3 days back home I will be wishing I was back in DC. Happens every time.

Anyways, I’ve concluded that the time has flown by because, continuing with the theme of the semester, I’ve been keeping myself very busy. My internship has been full of projects including a huge report I completed on the honey market in the United States….sounds kind of weird, I know, but it was surprisingly interesting. Plus, now I am an expert on honey which is probably something I will only ever be able to use once in about 5 years when I’m playing Trivial Pursuit and get a super random question about honey….but hey, someone playing will be impressed. I’ve just started working on a summary of Obama’s visit to Mexico and researching the speeches that were made which is pretty cool as well.

Class and TWC programming have also kept me busy. We’ve visited some really awesome organizations and even did a simulation last week at the World Bank. All the class members were assigned a different position, such as the president of the country (which was a make believe eastern European country), or the IMF. I played a lobby group, “EU For All,” and pretty much tried to convince everyone that integration policies were the best. It’s hard to explain, but it was very cool, and helped to show how all the “players” of the world interact and what their positions are.

My programming group met yesterday to discuss the final portfolios which are due in a few weeks. There will be a lot of work involved, but at the same time I’m really happy I will be able to leave DC with a tangible representation of all I’ve been doing. With that being said, I really need to get started on it because I have no doubt the deadline will approach faster than I imagine.

I’m feeling rather depressed that my actual class, which I have every Monday night, is winding down to an end. I can honestly say it is the best class I have ever had and I have learned so much. Every week I am impressed with my professor and his knowledge. He seems to have the history of the Americas down to a tee, and is able to relate it to every topic. Basically, and this is cheesy I know, but he has inspired to become a history machine and that is my new life goal.

Speaking of life goals, I’ve also been spending this past week looking into Masters programs on Latin American Studies. I met with a professor from Georgetown today, and have a meeting with the Director of the Latin American Studies and Western Hemisphere Affairs program at George Washington University tomorrow. I really think that DC would be the perfect place to do a Masters, in anything really, simply because of the crazy amount of resources available here. Anyways, hopefully I can make a good impression tomorrow because so far the George Washington program is my top choice.

Sniper on top of The White House...oooooo

So close to the Casa Blanca with some amazing girls from my program; Yohanna from Brazil and Dalia from Mexico

Oh, and how could I forget? The sightseeing has still been continuing and this weekend I did a garden tour at The White House! It was very cool. I’m assuming I will never be so close to the White House again, and I definitely wanted to rush the secret service (who were EVERYWHERE) and try to get inside…but, alas, I couldn’t bring myself to do it. They only give the tours twice a year so there were a ton of people and we were up WAY too early on a Sunday to get tickets; but it was worth it. I also ended the weekend with a pretty stellar sunburn, which means the weather is now beautiful here in DC, so I am not complaining about it.

Paz a fuera!

No comments:

Post a Comment