Friday, May 22, 2009

Busting out of DC

I still haven’t made it back to Canada, so I guess I have yet to completely reflect back on my whole Washington experience, but I can say that leaving the city was pretty sad. The last days at the Embassy were really interesting, and I am still pretty choked that I couldn’t see my final project through to the end. It was also tough to say good-bye to the other interns at the Embassy who I have been sharing an office with for the past months; it’s already very weird to not see them every day. I gave a mini Canadian flag to my supervisor on my last day as well, and, of course we all took some group photos.

Final day at the Embassy, with the other NAFTA interns and our supervisor

Just hangin’ out in front of the Embassy of Mexico

My last day in DC was spent packing like a crazy woman and hanging out with my roommate, who I’m also really gonna miss. I left on an overnight Greyhound bus to Wilmington, North Carolina to visit a friend for a few days. Thankfully, my beautiful roommate gave me a ride to the Greyhound station…just a heads up if anyone plans to travel while in DC, be careful around the Greyhound station. It’s not the safest area, and is metro accessible but only via a pretty long walk from Union Station. Basically, I wouldn’t recommend getting a late bus unless you can get a ride there or take a cab.

I made it safe and sound to Wilmington and we ended up spending the day on the beach, eating a TON of seafood, and camping for a night. It was an awesome time, and the seafood was so intense. Mussels, crab, oysters, crawfish….all of which I’ve never had before (or never had fresh before, which is completely different).

I’ve moved on from Wilmington now and am spending some time near Charleston in South Carolina with some friends. The south is beautiful! I would recommend a trip this way for anyone. I have one final stop in Savannah, Georgia, and then I head home on Tuesday. I think things will finally hit me when I get home, mostly regarding how much I’ve learned and being able to look at things a little differently. I haven’t had much time to think about it all while travelling, but I’m sure after about a week back home I will be missing much about DC.

Overall, I have had a great experience. I’ve learned a lot, met some great people, and seen more than I thought I would ever have the time for.

This will be my final blog for TWC, and If I could personally wipe that tear from your eye I would. Thanks for reading (whoever you are), and I really hope that I have been able to give all you potential TWC’ers a glimpse into the program and the DC lifestyle. Good luck in Washington!
Be prepared for an amazing semester!

PAZ!!

No comments:

Post a Comment