Monday, May 18, 2009

The End of an Era (and by era I mean internship)

I will be finishing up at the Embassy of Mexico tomorrow and will be leaving behind a big project I’ve been working on. I really wish I could see it through, but I guess its time to pass the torch to the next set of interns…touching I know.

I definitely took advantage of my last weekend in DC and was able to hit up all the final attractions I had yet to visit. I spent Saturday at the National Archives and the National Museum of the American Indian, both of which are very cool. At the American Indian museum the cafeteria is divided by different Indian groups, and each one serves the typical food of the group…..it was pretty awesome. At the archives I was able to see the actual constitution, and bill of rights. It’s crazy to be able to see signatures like George Washington’s.

The Declaration of Independence…but mostly, it’s John Hancock’s John Hancock. Hahahaha. I’m sure that’s the first time that joke has been made.

Unfortunately, my Saturday ended on not such a good note when I returned home to hear that my roommate had been robbed at gunpoint the previous night in Columbia Heights. I felt quite upset for her, and think I realized how much you are distanced from when you live in such a nice area like Bethesda. My view of DC has been one where I have not once felt in danger, even walking home from the Metro alone at night. I guess I’ve been pretty isolated from some of the other areas of DC which aren’t so safe. Luckily, she's ok. We both stayed in Saturday night, ordered pizza, and I think she was feeling a lot better after talking to her family and getting over the initial shock.

Sunday I took the Capital Crescent Trail from Bethesda into Georgetown in order to prep for my half marathon when I get home. I survived!

Unfortunately, I didn’t want to run with a camera, so I have yet to get any photos of the pathway which is seriously the most beautiful thing I’ve seen since living here. Hopefully I will have some time to take a quick walk on Saturday before I leave and document the area.

Monday was our final TWC speaker and commencement ceremony. It was a good day, but was definitely sad to say goodbye to the people in my program.

It’s very cool to now have some friends all throughout the Americas so hopefully soon I will meet them again on my travels. The commencement ceremony was great as well. We were able to hear quite a few stories of what other interns had accomplished this semester, and there were some pretty amazing stories!

The Global Trade and Regional Integration Program crew. Oh the good times we’ve had...

Now it’s just down to my last internship days, combined with a little packing, and I’m outta here. I’ve finally figured out my travel plans, and will be heading to Wilmington, NC on Saturday for a few days, and then SC for a few more visiting friends along the way. It should be a fun time, but I am definitely getting excited to get home on May 26th. It will be great to see my friends and family, and arrive just in time for some nice Canadian summer weather.

Paz.

No comments:

Post a Comment