Monday, May 11, 2009

Comida Mexicana!

I’ve just got one more week of interning here in DC, and this past one has been focused on trying to get my projects done at work. I’m not gonna lie, I have been working on some research (still regarding the trucking dispute, which I am pretty much obsessed with by this point) and am “supposed” to have it completed by the end of my internship next week, but I’m feeling a little stressed out because I really don’t think it’s possible….but of course, I will try.

Also this week I’ve experienced the rainy season of DC. I’m not really sure if there is such a thing, but I’m gonna take it and roll with it because it’s seriously been 8 days of straight rain. Honestly, it’s actually a nice change considering in Calgary it’s normally snow or nothing; but really, 8 days? Come on. It let up today which was nice so a couple of other interns from the Embassy and I were able to return to our local lunch spot (Quizno’s of course, 4 dollar sub…can you blame us?) and sit outside.

On Thursday I took a break from work and went to a Naturalization Ceremony that was held on the Mall. A Naturalization Ceremony is the ceremony done where immigrants actually become American citizens. I thought it was a pretty crazy concept….to be able to witness the moment when somebody, who possibly has spent years and gone through unimaginable circumstances to become an American. I did happen to show up late, and missed the actual oaths that are taken by the people, BUT I still got to see them all afterwards hugging their families and taking pictures, which I thought was pretty touching. I was probably the creepy random at the back of the crowd watching them, but whatever, it was a cool moment to “creep” on.

New American citizens at the Naturalization Ceremony

Another stellar thing that happened this week was a lunchtime getaway. One of the employees at the Embassy took me and the two other NAFTA interns outside of DC to Maryland for comida Mexicana (Mexican food!!!) It was quite a ways away, but sooooo worth it. I haven’t had authentic Mexican food since my student exchange in Mexico a few years ago, and I can honestly say that it is amazing. The place where we went was located in an area with a large Latino population, and was even in a strip mall with a Panaderia (selling pan dulce – Mexican sweet bread), which I was also pretty excited about. Basically the whole trip was spent with the Mexicans laughing at me because I was so ridiculously excited to eat the food that they get every day back home. Oh how lucky they are.

So pumped for Pan Dulce!

With another NAFTA intern, Hector from Mexico, outside the Mexican restaurant.

One more cool DC experience I had this week – Passport DC. It’s an event that happens every year where about 30 Embassies all around the city open their doors for a day, and have things like food, drinks, music and dance.

I was able to hit up a few Embassies during the event last weekend, including Colombia, Haiti, and the Bahamas. At the Colombia Embassy we got FREE Juan Valdez coffee, which is amazing! At the Haitian Embassy we then chased the coffee with rum punch which was also delicious. My favorite stop was the Bahamas, where they had people playing bongos and singing and dancing, as well as coconut milk. It was a great time, and I couldn’t believe how many people were out and about for it.

Music and dance at the Embassy of the Bahamas for Passport DC

This weekend is my last one in DC. I’m gonna try to hit up the last few sights I still have on my list, and RELAX because my portfolio is done!

PAZ!

No comments:

Post a Comment